Monday, September 28, 2015

Blog 18: Unit 1 Reflection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness

With the first major assignment done, I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders yet also worried. Either way, I learned much from these first weeks of college English.

When I first started to blog, I did not fully realize the importance of keeping paragraphs concise. I also learned to my dismay that I tend to overthink a topic which is time inefficient especially if I take almost several hours to think before I actually blog. Sometimes the overthinking is helpful for brainstorming which is what I hope to do with the next assignments. Maybe I could just type a draft full of all my ideas and then edit them rather than edit along the way.

Later, the blogs became geared toward the different sources of media. From this, I learned how to use Google Scholar to search well, scholarly journal articles and also learned how to properly search for usable pictures using the usage rights under search tools.

The next stage of this unit was the bibliography. During this stage, I learned how to cite sources in AMA style. Although different from the MLA I am accustomed to, the information conveyed by both citations styles were similar. These different modes of communications each have their own audiences, purpose, and formats. One skill to be garnered from this is that a wide variety of sources not only shows dedication on the researcher's part, but also provides a more complete image of a topic.

Then, came the actual drafting. After reading the comments on my drafts and seeking advice, I started to realize that nominalizations and passive voice were areas I may need some improvement. Because passive voice can be passively used by me (as shown here), I must be cautious. Another aspect I need to improve upon is the clarity of my writing since I tend to use long sentences. Concise is the key.

With the final project near its due date, I realized that my writing is okay, but not the best. I had to drastically alter my thesis to accommodate this realization. Perhaps clinical techniques undergoing research were not directly meant to be understood by the general public. The complex terms were used to show expertise to the more influential experts. The exchange is between those in the scientific community. Maybe the scientific writers are somewhat aiming at the more educated public.

After I completed my quick reference guide, I felt that I described the cell processes going on in gene therapy in an easy to understand way using analogies. The ideas are also not bad, but maybe I could further elaborate and prioritize what I want to say to maintain a balance of not too wordy, but not too underdeveloped.

When the next project comes, I can hopefully apply my brainstorm then edit technique. This will save more time allowing me to review my project instead of expecting a "hit or miss" project.

If I could sum up all these experiences into a single sentence, it would be: An excellent writer is one who could use conventions and formats to effectively craft a concise yet in depth essay/report/QRG. I still have a long way to go, but hopefully I will improve over time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment