Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Blog 36: Discovering My Writing Process

Alt=A woman thinking statue
"A woman thinking statue"

Today is the first day of December. This college semester in close to ending and that means finals are approaching. For my English class, the final project is a reflection. I am sitting in my dorm wondering what would be the best way to begin this blog. I will start out with a simple question and answer format, exploring my growth as a writer.

What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?

I consider myself a heavy reviser. Drafting and outlining help me plan my writing, but actually composing the draft helps me gauge whether my paper is well written or not. When I wrote my public argument and analysis, I wrote three significantly different drafts for each piece.

Have you changed your process to incorporate approaches from different writer identities?

I also try to incorporate some aspects of the heavy planner and sequential composer. For my last project, I had one document where I compiled all my sources and organized the information from those sources into pro/con categories. Normally, I would not use this strategy, but  found that it greatly helped me develop the main stance I should take for the argument.

In what ways has your approach to writing changed because of a particular assignment, activity, or concept you have learned?

The rhetorical analysis of the #LikeAGirl commercial marked a major change in my writing. I realized that I needed to be more careful about what words I used, how I organized my paper, and how I started my paper (introduction). Now I try not to use overly complex word choice unless it is appropriate. I also break up my paragraphs because I found that I tend to place too many major ideas into one paragraph. As for the introduction, I avoid generalizations and make it more relevant to the topic of the paper.

What does your writing process look like? Has it shifted throughout the course of the semester? Does it change for different writing situations?

Before, I would only compose one draft and heavily edit that draft myself, but throughout the semester, I found that writing multiple drafts helpful. I also had others read my paper and provide feedback. This is especially true for my second and third project. I also used the same strategy for my general education class, but have yet to see the results.

Did you try any new approaches to writing this semester? What worked? What didn't work? What might you try in future writing situations?

I definitely tried new approaches to writing this semester. As indicated by my response to the prior question, I will continue to seek help on my papers when I am unsure. I will also take into account the rhetorical aspects of a written assignment such as audience, message, and occasion. By understanding what my audience (the person grading my paper) expects from me, I am able to write a better paper. The cluster diagram and pre-writing activities helped me brainstorm, but did not help me much during the actual writing process. In the future, I will ask questions and seek help when I am unsure about a paper sooner rather than later. I might also try to actively engage in my writing through the pre-writing activities I learned in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment