Thursday, December 3, 2015

Blog 38: Reflective Essay Organizing Idea and Thesis

Crossroads, Signpost, Directions, Navigation, Arrows
Crossroads: Which path will my reflection take?
Hmmm...
From my last blog post, I showed interest in writing a reflective essay about a specific assignment, but I will explore other options. Maybe I may change my mind and choose a different route. I will type five thesis statements corresponding to five themes:

Focus on a specific assignment, experience, or concept.

Throughout the revision process for the project two, the #LikeAGirl rhetorical analysis, I learned to be wary of my word choice, organization, and relevance of my ideas through the comments of my English professor, writing center tutors, and my classmates.

Compare your experiences in this course to past experiences.

Honors English 109 is a completely different experience from high school English in terms of the class' expectations. the genres being analyzed, and the different factors to consider in an essay,

Reflect on strengths and weaknesses.

As I became more self aware of my writing skills in Honors English 109, I realized that my strengths lied in formulating ideas and weaknesses lied in organization and word usage.

Focus on course objectives.

One semester of Honors English 109 enhanced my rhetorical awareness, critical thinking, revision skills, and understanding of conventions.

Focus on writing process/self-perception as a writer.

I had a chance to develop certain habits and personalities during my semester in Honors English 109 such as annotating sources, typing multiple drafts, and revising my paper more critically.

...and I choose:
The thesis that I will choose is the one about the specific assignment since it allows me to hone in on a specific assignment and incorporate specific evidence more easily than if I chose a broader topic. I can intertwine comparisons of my essay before and after with my personal experiences through the drafting process.

Feel free to provide feedback. I gave feedback to Alaina Michael's and Cati Krutilla's theses.

2 comments:

  1. Based on what you wrote for your theses, I would have recommended the same to you: it seemed as if that one project had a massive impact on you. It will be interesting to see how each of your helpers influenced your writing style. However, what I find even more interesting is how this essay will show that you learned what you stated in your thesis--an essay with a thesis of this complexity will require that you have effective word choices to keep within a page limit, organizational skills to prevent losing the audience, and the ability to discern what evidences are relevant to avoid suspicion of your writing proficiency. Good work so far, and good luck to you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most helpful suggestion I can give is be careful about how sentences sound and what you use an appositive. For example it was a rhetorical analysis of a complex visual media (or something like that), not #LikeAGirl rhetorical analysis. By having that as an appositive you are saying that the assignment is called this instead of saying what the subject of your paper was. Also, the word wary seems to mean, at least to me, to be cautious of something. I think that perhaps saying something along the lines of "careful in regards to..." would sound like you have more control over it.

    ReplyDelete